Thursday, February 5, 2009

Time

There are prepositions about time that we can use to make us  'looks like' fluent in english ^^.
Here the preps and the used.

1. One thing before another

Before I went to work I fed the cat (or, more commonly in written English: Before going to work, I fed the cat)
I had written to her prior to meeting the committee (formal/written style)
It was nice to be in Seoul. Previously I'd only been to Busan (fairly formal, more informal would be before that, I ..)
I was in the office from 2.30 pm. I was out earlier on. (before then, fairly informal)
The city is now called Jakarta. Formerly it was Jayakarta (used when something has changed its name, state, etc)

2. Things happening at the same time
While I waited, I read the magazine (or, more formal: While waiting, I read magazine)
As I was driving to work, I saw an accident ( As describes the background when something happens in the foreground)
I saw her just as she was turning the corner (at the precise moment)
During the war, She lived in Rotterdam (during here, doesn;t specify how long)
Throughout the war, food was rationed (from beginning to end)
She was entering at the very time/the very moment I was leaving ( these two are stronger and more precise than as or just as)

3. One thing after another
After I'd locked, I went up to bed (or, more formal: after locking up.. WE don't usually say "After having locked up..)
We went to the beach. Then we caught a bus to go home.
First we went to the cinema. After that, we had a romantic unforgettable dinner
He fell ill and was admitted to hospital. He died soon afterwards (it can be changed with after that)
Following my visitor to New Delhi, I bought lots of books about India (fairly formal)

4. Time when
When I'm rich and famous, I'' buy a yacht (NOT ' when I will be rich)
As soon as we've packed we can leave (immediately after)
Once we've finished we can go home and have a coffee (less specific)
The moment/the minute I saw his face I knew I'd met him before.
I stayed in that hospital the time (that) I broke my leg.
I met him at my friends/ wedding. On that ocassion he was with a different girl.

5. Connecting two periods or events
The meeting will take about an hour. In the meantime, wait and have a snack (between now and the finishing meeting).
The new CD player are arriving soon. Till then, we'll have to use the old ones.
I last met him in 1985. Since then I haven't set eyes on him.
By the time I retire, I will have worked here 20 years.





No comments:

Post a Comment